Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A promise to serve: San Jose meet your local Mormon Missionaries

Chase and his Companion Elder Creps were interviewed by a guy named Mark Andrus who writes articles for the San Jose LDS Church Examiner. Here is the article.

A promise to serve: San Jose meet your local Mormon Missionaries











Recently I met with two local Mormon missionaries, (Elder Chase Peterson of Idaho and Elder John Creps of Minnesota), to ask them some questions on why they decided to dedicate two years to come and serve others here in the Bay area.

Here’s what they had to say:

Q. What inspired you to leave your family and educational pursuits and serve a mission?

A: Elder Peterson: “One of the biggest inspirations for deciding to serve a mission was the example of my brothers-in-law and the love that I saw them gain for people after having served missions. When you’re in the service of your fellow beings you’re in the service of your God, and you begin to love people. Heavenly Father has blessed my life in so many ways, and serving for two years is only giving a little bit back.”
A: Elder Creps: “Matthew 5:16 ‘Let your light so shine…’. I was inspired by the opportunity that I have to serve the Lord and humanity at large and to bless people with the gift of faith that has blessed my life. I’ve found in my life that when I’m closest to Christ is when I’m the happiest.”

Q. Why did you come to California, did you choose where to go?


A: Peterson: “No, we didn’t choose where to go, but we were called of God. Wherever we’re sent is where we’re needed the most and we’ll be able to connect with the people. God has greater insight.”
A: Creps: “I didn’t care where I went. I knew that wherever I was sent was where I could help people grow closer to Christ.”

Q. What has been your greatest moment on your mission?


A: Peterson: “After a recent convert’s baptism, he told us that before he was baptized he had no direction in his life. The gospel of Jesus Christ has given him direction, and he’s much happier now.”
A: Creps: “One great moment has been working with a man who is paralyzed and seeing how his faith allows him to count his blessings and find happiness. He said, 'I’m so grateful that I can breathe without tubes.' Every moment of his life is treated as a precious gift. Whereas I take simple things like that for granted, like my limbs that work.”


Q. What is your primary purpose for being a missionary?


A: Peterson: “To serve other people. To share the blessings of the gospel of Jesus Christ with everyone.”
A: Creps: “To invite others to grow closer to Jesus Christ. To uplift others and encourage positive attributes in others. Even if no one converted while I’m here, if I can help someone grow closer to God it would be worth it.”

1 comment: